Monday, May 11, 2009

I am not a blogger...

It's true. I am not a blogger. And yet, here i am writing a blog about myself. I have said for the past two years that I wish I blogged more often because i've had so many memorable experiences that I feel need to be recorded. So even if no one ever reads this, maybe I can look back in 5 years and reflect on all that I have experienced. Since graduating from high school in 2003 i have:
  • attended a prestigious university known for its amazing research and received a B.A. in '07
  • been the president of a sorority while in school
  • become the big sister of two adopted kids (who surprising look like me)
  • committed to teach 8th grade for two years in an impoverished, urban community in a large metropolitan city known for its intense gang violence (thru Teach for America)
  • taken the LSAT, applied to schools, stressed myself out, and finally been admitted to many amazing schools, including 2 top 10 law schools
  • committed to attending one of those top 10 law schools where i will spend the next 3 years moving from sun to extreme cold weather and snow
  • endured a loving and tumultuous relationship with my boyfriend, one that i know will be affected by attending law school
  • fought to maintain my relationship with God
Back to the immediate situation...

So yesterday, i just received my 2nd degree, a M.A. in Elementary Education from blah blah blah University. I got this degree by teaching for the past two years and this was my academic culmination of that experience. While I have 6 weeks left of teaching, i do feel like my time is drawing near...and i'm excited! i attended an alumni dinner with my TFA colleagues last week and i realized that my experience was almost over and i would soon be an alumni and it made me reflect on my experience. i never regreted teaching for two years but it has literally shaped me into an entirely different person. i am no longer the person who keeps my mouth shut on issues i believe in. i have seen that i can be a true role model and manage a class of 37 8th graders (although not always seamlessly). i have raised test scores, invested students who were on the path to the gang life to focus on school, and practically pulled my hair out. i have done countless assignments that don't help me learn how to manage a kid that tells me to fuck off because i refuse to do what he asks. or that don't tell me how to get parents to take responsibility for their God-awful child. i have experienced the most difficult 2 years of my life (although strangely enough, i have experienced other periods of intense stress and insanity) and i am thankful i've made it thru. God has been looking out for me the past 2 years because they have been so difficult and receiving my Masters yesterday was not only significant because i have a new degree, but because it signifies 2 years of struggle, stress, heartache, hopelessness, optimisim, cynicism and a million other emotions. i have again broken down barriers and managed to accomplish something else amazing.

this is a lot to read on a first time encounter, but it's important to get these feelings out. the happiness i felt yesterday will soon fade and i dont want to forget. don't be overwhelmed, u will get caught up gradually. u may not know me well, but in time u will. just stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I know you. I can't wait to see your stories during your time at law school. It will give me the opportunity to be there with you without physically being there.

    And yes, the best part about blogging is reading it after some time has passed. I still shake my head at some of things I've written, done and said. I must be crazy.

    But I love it nonetheless...its self reflection at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree. u are crazy. :) which is why i love u so!

    ReplyDelete